Monday, September 28, 2009

Here It Comes!

When we found out that we were moving to Guam, we knew that typhoons would become a reality for us.  We have already had several threaten us, but they have only caused a lot of rain.  (I can't imagine how much rain there was for Noah.  I have never seen rain come down this hard and the streets flood so quickly.  However, as soon as the rain stops, the water runs out into the jungle, and the sun comes out.)  This time it looks like the typhoon is going to hit us.  We are in condition 3 and expected to go to condition 2 today.  I don't think that we will have a lot of damage since we are really just catching the edge of it, but we will most definitely lose power. (We lose power all the time anyway even when there is not a storm.  The power has gone out so many times, that when Joshua walks into the house and the lights are off, he usually says, "Oh man! The power is out."  I just remind him that we turned the lights off when we left the house.) The power will probably stay off for a couple of days this time, but that is one of the reasons that we moved into base housing.  The power will come back on for us a lot faster than it will for the rest of the island.  We have collected enough water and canned goods to last for a few days.  All of the plants have been moved inside, the car is full of gas, and Matthew is closing the storm shutters today.  I am really not concerned about our safety.  I am more concerned about being stuck inside with no power, no air conditioner, and no light from the windows.  The rain will probably stop before the power comes back on, and then we can spend all day outside.  We usually spend most of the day outside anyway.  Honestly, I am most concerned about being bored and having two bored toddlers.  I just thought that I would update everyone, so that you will not worry (Mom and Dad).  I will get back online as soon as I can.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's hilarious about Benjamin (or is it Joshua?) who says that about the power being out when really, the lights are turned off.

It reminds me of once when I had a four-year-old running errands with me, and when we left one place it was raining, but it had stopped when we got the the next store. She gets out and holds her hands out to feel the rain and says, "I;m not getting wet!!" I said, "It stopped raining."

Ha.